What is Transition Town Romsey?
TTR is a local group trying to give a positive vision for the future of Romsey. We are aware of global problems such as climate change and peak oil, but we are not daunted by them – we believe there are positive ways we can make our local community resilient to the changes ahead – and the result will be a even nicer place to live!
Even Ambridge in the Archers is becoming a Transition Village! There is growing evidence that global production of crude oil is now declining: in the long run, fuel prices will go up and up.
There are always plenty of opportunities to meet with our development group or one of our sub-groups, and we welcome newcomers. We also have plenty to be getting on with, but we rely on volunteer support so the more volunteers we have, the more we can achieve together! Current ongoing activities we need help with include:
- Help with our social media and website to keep as many people as possible informed about TTR
- Practical help at the Whitenap Orchard and The Station Veggie Patch.
From the Trash to Treasure event 2016…
TTR Event on 26th November 2015 – What a Waste
In December, the world’s nations and organisations will gather in Paris for COP21 or the ’2015 Climate Conference’. This will be the largest ever UN conference on climate change, and some believe this is the world’s last opportunity to achieve a binding and universal agreement on climate. Two of the issues covered will be ‘consumerism’ and ‘waste’ and Transition Town Romsey (TTR) are planning to bring the discussion to Romsey through our What a Waste event. All are invited to come and view information stalls from 7.00p.m. with the talks from local speakers starting at 7.30p.m.
For more information, see our news page here…
Spring at Whitenap Community Orchard – some pictures from this year…
Bike Ride for Bike Week
We were very lucky with the weather and had a lovely ride discovering the off-road routes around Romsey. See the Transport Group page for a map of the route.
Romsey Green Fair 2013
18th May 2013 at the Crosfield Hall, 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Twizy Electric Car on display
- Free bike checks from Dr. Bike – bring your bike
- Vegetable seedling swap.
- Advice on the Government’s Green Deal scheme
- Children’s workshops: making necklaces, painting plant pots, making ‘stained glass’ windows
- Face Painting from 12.00-2.00 p.m.
- Childrens book corner with storytelling from 10.15am-12pm
- Interactive demonstrations (e.g. how to make your own lip balm)
- ‘Green’ volunteering Information Point
- Games and competitions
- Sherfield English Children’s Gardening Club, did a display about display how to make 2 litre drinks bottles into a ‘greenhouse’
In addition there was a raffle with a (reconditioned) laptop as the major prize and refreshments were sold in aid of Romsey School’s ‘Romsey2Kenya’ project.
Click here for more information on what happened on the day, stalls etc
Photos from the Apple Day – 27th October
Transition Town Romsey had a stall at the Apple Day at King Johns House – crushing apples into lovely fresh juice. More pictures here…
Photos from the Big Green Month
May 2012 - more here